Want to do independent research at the School in St Andrews? We are looking for talented future colleagues. See this link for details.
Follow us on Twitter @watson_group
- Allan is promoted to Professor of Organic Chemistry! We are grateful to collaborators and supporters, past and present, of the Watson Group as we begin a new chapter.
- Dr Matthew Coles completes his PhD viva and the beach run! Check out the group twitter for an action shot. We wish him the best of luck at Pharmaron.
- The group bids farewell to our masters student, William, and summer student, Nick.
- We wish Liam good luck as he begins a 3 month secondment in the Teskey Lab at RWTH Aachen University with an Advanced Research Opportunities Program scholarship.
- The group welcomes third-year undergraduate, Nick D’Arcy Evans, for a summer placement funded by the RSC.
- Eva and Jamie’s book chapter on Boron Complexes in Organic Synthesis is published in Molecular Sciences and Chemical Engineering.
- Nick wins three awards for outstanding academic performance (Elizabeth Soutar, Dr Margaret Robson Wright and F. D. Gunstone prizes) – a future chemistry superstar for sure!
- We bid farewell to Jamie as he begins his new role at Dundee’s Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) as a medicinal chemist.
- We wish Eva luck as she begins a 3 month secondment in the Ritter Lab at the Max-Planck-Institute für Kohlenforschung.
- The group says goodbye and good luck to our final year students Tim and Charlotte.
- Some of our collaborative work with GlaxoSmithKline is published in Bioconjugate Chemistry.
- New year = new students! We welcome William to the group for his MRes year.
- Our work on Copper mediated ionising cross-coupling is published in Angewandte Chemie. Congratulations to all involved!
- Nicola, Chao, Julien, Jamie and Jeremy’s work on strange Cu(OTf)2 reactions is now available on ChemRXiv.
- A big congratulations to Dr David Cain who not only passed his viva but started a new post-viva tradition (see our Twitter for pictures)! We wish David the best of luck as he moves on to his new role with Sygnature Discovery in Nottingham.
- We move into our shiny new lab space which will be shared with Dr Craig Johnston’s group.
- We welcome new PhD students Kane and John, along with Final Year project students Charlotte and Tim, to the group.
- Allan’s perspective article on our Pd based research is featured on the Front Cover of Synlett Issue 13.
- We’re back!! Following a long and frustrating lockdown the group finally returns to the lab.
- Massive congratulations to Dr Eilidh Sood who completes the groups second virtual viva! Eilidh is off to undertake a Postgrad in Teaching at University of Strathclyde. Good luck Eilidh!
- Matt’s work on CPA mediated synthesis of heterocyclic vicinal fluoroamines is published in Chemistry A European Journal. Congratulations Matt!
- The group continues working from home as part of the COVID-19 lockdown. No practical chemistry but plenty of writing and ideas for when we do get back in the lab!
- Huge congratulations to Dr Matthew West for not only completing his PhD viva, but doing so remotely for the first time! Matt moves on to a Process Chemistry role at Almac in Belfast. All the best Matt!
- Allan’s perspective article on our Pd based research is accepted in Synlett.
- Eva returns to the group from Syngenta, but sadly remains isolated from us. We look forward to getting the band back together in the lab as soon as possible.
- The lab sadly shuts down due to a pesky virus outbreak. We’ll be back.
- George, Eva, and Matt (with help from colleagues from the Smith group) present at the 6th National Retrosynthesis Competition in London.
- Matt’s work on CPA mediated synthesis of heterocyclic vicinal fluoroamines is now available on ChemRxiv.
- Eilidh’s study on deoxyfluorination using CuF2 is published in Angewantde Chemie. Congratulations Eilidh!
- David presents a poster at the 48th RSC Scottish Organic Division (Perkin) Meeting and wins the prize for best poster. Congrats David!
- Eva starts a 3 month industrial placement at Syngenta.
- Matt A presents a poster at the RSC Organic Division Poster Symposium in London.
- David and Matt A present their work at the annual St Andrews Chemistry Postgraduate Symposium. Eva also presents a poster. Well done to all!
- Matt W, Brodie, and Juliens paper is published in Asian JOC. Congrats all! Link in our publication section.
- Matt W, Jamie, Julien, and Allan’s review on the development of the Chan-Lam reaction is published in Chemical Reviews. Well done team!
- Welcome to our new postdoc Liam.
- Matthew A presents at the RSC Heterocycle and Synthesis Group meeting.
- Welcome to Boyang and Erin who join us for their final year projects.
- Eilidh presents at the Charles River poster day in Cambridge.
- Welcome to our new PhD student Jeremy.
- We say goodbye to our Summer student Eggy. It has been great working with you!
- We also say goodbye to our MSc student George. All the best in the future.
- Allan presents at BMS NJ and GeneTech.
- Eilidh, Matt W, and Allan all present at the ACS San Diego.
- Welcome to our Summer student Eggy who will be working on natural product targets with Eva.
- Monica returns back to Canada. We all wish you the best of luck.
- Our group twitter is launched. Feel free to follow us for all our latest updates. [link]
- The group and the Watson family enjoy a day out at the beach with frisbee and sausages galore!
- Welcome to our catalysis MSc student George who will be with us for 3 months.
- Jamie re-joins the group. Welcome back!
- Allan wins the RSC Hickinbottom Award for developing approaches to understand mechanisms of catalytic reactions and to generate new approaches to make C-X bonds.
- Eva, George, and David attend the 3rd Chem Cell Press conference in Norwich where David presents his published Synlett work.
- Eilidh and Matthew A attend the 19th RSC Fluorine Symposium in Southampton. Eilidh wins best talk! Congrats to Eilidh!
- Eilidh attends SCI Organic Symposium in Glasgow and wins best talk! Congrats again to Eilidh…she is on a roll!
- Eva presents her research to date at the St Andrews postgraduate symposium talks. Well done!
- Our study on Ni vs. Pd in the Suzuki–Miyaura sp2–sp2 cross-coupling is accepted in OBC. Well done Matt W! [link]
- Nicola leaves for her new job in the Cronin lab. We all wish you the best of luck.
- Our collaborative study with the Sutherland group at the University of Glasgow is published in Organic Letters. Congrats to the whole team! [link]
- Eilidh wins a poster prize at the SCI Women in Chemistry event in Nottingham. Congrats Eilidh!
- We welcome our CDT students Dominic, Macieji, and Virginie into the group for their miniprojects.
- Julia’s review of biocatalytic aminoacid preparation is published in Journal of Biotechnology. Congrats Julia! [link]
- Nicola gives a talk and Matt West presents a poster at the Perkin Meeting at Strathclyde.
- Matt Ashford wins the runner up poster prize at the St Andrews Postgraduate Symposium. Congrats Matt!
- David presents a poster at the RSC Organic Meeting in Burlington House.
- Eilidh and Matt West present posters at the SCI Modern Developments in Organic Synthesis meeting and Eilidh wins the runner up poster prize. Congrats Eilidh!
- David’s paper is highlighted in Thieme. [link]
- Our flow paper with the Burley group (http://www.burleylabs.co.uk/) has been highlighted in Nature Communications. [link]
- Our collaborative study with the Burley group (http://www.burleylabs.co.uk/) on flow-based CuAAC bioconjugation is published in Nature Communications. Congrats Marine! [link]
- Our study on the use of vinyl Bpin as a bifunctional reagent is accepted in Synlett. Congrats David! [link]
- Welcome to our new project students Brodie and Daniel.
- Our collaborative study on the Chan-Lam reaction of N-aryl sulfonamides is published in ACS Catalysis. Congrats Julien! [link]
- Our study on the use of DMI in cross-coupling reactions is accepted in Synlett. Congrats Kirsty! [link to follow]
- Welcome to our new PhD student Eva Israel.
- Our collaborative biocatalysis paper is published in ACIE. Congrats Julia + team! [link]
- Welcome to our new postdoc Dr Nicola Bell.
- Our first asymmetric catalysis study is published in ACIE! Congrats Chao! [link]
- The group say good bye and good luck to Dr Chao Xu and Dr John Molloy.
- Our Pd anion metathesis paper is highlighted in SynFacts [link]
- Allan gives talks at GSK UP, Universities of Ottawa/Carelton, Queens Ontario, Alberta, and at the 2018 CSC in Edmonton.
- Some of the group’s Green Chem work is highlighted in the ACS Med Chem Tips and Tricks [link].
- Our collaborative study with the Gilmour Group at Münster on photochemical isomerization of styrenyl organoborons is highlighted in C&EN [link].
- Joe passes his PhD viva with Prof Paul Stevenson as examiner. Congratulations Dr Dixon!
- John passes his PhD viva with Prof Ian Fairlamb as examiner. Congratulations Dr Molloy!
- Allan talks at the Chem Symposium at UEA.
- Our collaborative paper on selective bromodomain inhibitors is published in J. Med. Chem. Congrats to the team! J. Med. Chem. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.7b01666.
- Our paper on the use of Cyrene in amidation reactions is accepted for publication in OBC. Congrats Kirsty! Org. Biomol. Chem. DOI: 10.1039/C8OB00653A.
- Our total synthesis/SAR study of coronatine is published in Nature Communications. Congratulations Mairi! Nat. Comm. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-03443-1.
- Kirsty, Marine, and Allan will be presenting in various forms at the ACS in NOLA.
- Julien passes his PhD viva! Congratulations Dr Vantourout! Thanks to Prof David Procter for doing the honours.
- Our work with Cyrene is highlighted in the ACS Nexus Blog [link].
- Our collaborative study with the Gilmour Group at Münster on photochemical isomerization of styrenyl organoborons is published in ACIE. Congrats John, Jan, and Constantin! Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 3186–3172.
- Julien wins a poster prize at the 1st Alpine Winter Conference on Medicinal and Synthetic Chemistry. Congrats Julien!
- Our study of Pd(II) anion metathesis is published in JACS. Congrats, John, Ciaran, and Matt! Interrogating Pd(II) Anion Metathesis Using a Bifunctional Chemical Probe: A Transmetalation Switch, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140, 126−130.
- The group moves to St. Andrews!